Friday, April 16, 2010

Books, books, books....

I am a book lover. Books have gotten me through a life of turmoil and destruction. When I was very young I would curl up in the bath tub and read. I grew up in a violent home with a lot of screaming, fighting, verbal and physical abuse, gambling addiction and alcoholism. Reading and drawing were my escape from it all. And old movies. I really loved old cheesy movies. Anyway, I still read to escape. All the new fancy ways to read a book don't interest me in the least. I want a real paper book in my hands. I want to smell it and hear the crunch when you first open it up. I want it to fit in my purse and my glove box. I want to see everything I have read. Sometimes I just want to stare at them all and bask in all the people and places I have met and gone. It's lovely.

So now I suppose I should begin writing about some of the books I have read and share why they were or were not special for me. So that is the goal. Now you know. Be prepared because I love a book for it's ability to take me away and for the many ways I can relate to the characters. In other words, you may not feel the same because you may not judge a book for the same characteristics as myself. Feel free to let me know what YOU got out of it, if anything. Debate can be fun!!

2 comments:

Vampires and Tofu said...

Yay! Looking forward to your book posts!!!

Books and Bane said...

I found my grandma's journals today. I thought they burned in the fire. She speaks of Hitler being assumed dead (1945) and of bringing my mother home. So strange. In another she wrotes about me. It is from 1972 I believe. I don't want to tell my mom I found them. Scared she will lose them or sell them or something. There is just so little history in our family. I may write a bit about reading them.